Thursday, August 8, 2013

ckparis and the 2square chronicles part 2

salutations . the j boys of 2square have finally crossed the pond after a slight delay. no worries, they've got about three months left before Art Basel and their return to the banana republic city of Miami in the southern most portion of the U.S., affectionately referred to as "the 'nana".
hot off the internet rails of communication with ckparis, the 2square U.S. foreign correspondent, is 2square's latest Q and A session. and this one is the real deal, everything you wanted to know about 2square...

Q ckparis: How did you pick the tag 2square?
A jeremiah: It means so many things to each of us, but I'd say 2square is the opposite of what we are. It's a mind game. Some people say "2 square equals 4. In fact, those are your real squares.

A justin: The name was one of the first we thought of and it worked. We are anything but normal and square, we have no box. That's why we put ourselves inside it. I guess it's a joke. There are several meanings this is one.

Q ckparis: I understand you are starting a 4 month tour in Europe. what is your first stop and why? Friends, lovers and/or work?
A jeremiah: Portugal.  It's one of our favorite countries in Europe. We have connections here who are helping us to get walls to paint and a vehicle to travel  in thru Europe.


A justin:  We are in Lisbon, Portugal right now. As of this interview, we have painted 2 murals and we head to our next city tomorrow. We love Portugal and during our last street art tour I fell in love with a girl here. We've had a strange relationship, she's visited me in Miami, and now we are back. I didn't come here expecting anything because I could tell things had changed. She was one of my first real strong muses. We have a strong network here and that helped with our decision. We have a week or so left in this country before we push off to the next.

Q ckparis: Are you coming back to Miami for Art Basel?
A jeremiah: For sure! Miami in December is the best place to be in the world. We don't miss Art Basel. We've got big walls to paint.


A justin: We fly back November 7th and we intend to take back what belongs to us and paintpaintpaint.

Q ckparis :What is your favorite color to work with? why?
A jeremiah: I have a fascination with black,white and grey. It comes from my long love affair with black and white photography. Aaaaand because its cheap. I can mix 2 of my favorite colors, and have a range of in betweens. The lack of money depicts how many colors I can buy. However, I'm doing more color in my work now. I'm always moving, I'm always changing.  My style changes a little with each project.

A justin: I don't know that I have a favorite color to work with. Sometimes it's easier to keep it simple with black. When you paint murals everyday like us, it gets very expensive, imagine not having a job, but painting 6 days of the week. On a light day, I would spend $30 on paint, but that's not the norm. Luckily,  we have worked hard and now we are being sought out and paid.

Q ckparis:What has been your most memorable experience down here in the 305?
A jeremiah: I can't answer that with just one thing. It's been a very fun ride to say the least.  I'm very proud of my time in Miami. I fell in love with a girl  with whom I have many great memories, and who taught me a lot. I painted some of the best paintings of my career and I've met some people that have impacted my life forever. People are very open in Miami, and that's hard to forget.


A justin: I can't limit my time to one memory. There were many occasions that stick out to me. I feel like we took our time in Wynwood and worked wisely at an accelerated pace. It was a hard chapter for us to end Wynwood became it was our home. We fell in love with the city and people. We worked in the hottest of temperatures when others weren't on the streets, in the rain, in the dark, we poured our love into the walls and city. I know when we go back nothing will be the same, but this is something you learn from traveling. Time moves on, as does life and people. I hope that one day the people of Miami can look back and see what we accomplished. We had our time, the time of 2square and no one can ever take that away. Now whomever tries to fill our shoes will have to work very hard. 
 Q ckparis: It's august 2018, where are you?  (not a typo!) 
 A jeremiah:  I could be globe trotting still, could be co-managing our brand. Maybe I'm in architecture school, maybe I'm living in a secluded area of nature married to my piano. Maybe I'm on a book signing tour. I never plan too far ahead. I just try to make the best decision in the moment and trust that those actions will lead me down the right path of the future.
A justin: I would like to be traveling but we will have expanded our duo to a small tribe. We have a number of goals and ideas, but more than anything we want to share some of our travels with friends and some family. I'm not worried about money because I know there will be plenty of opportunities to make tons. I think it's what we do with the money when we have it that will surprise and impress others. 

Q ckparis: jeremiah, how do you take your coffee?
A jeremiah: I like it dark and not tasty. I try not to drink a lot of coffee. I prefer tea.


Q ckparis: et tu, justin? how do you take yours?
A justin: I generally have a little sugar and milk. Traveling you get adjusted to not necessarily having everything your way. I can drink just about any type of coffee and be okay. I'm not much of a complainer.

stay tuned kids,  the 2square chronicles 2 be continued with 2square overseas and it's gonna get personal....


photo credit for  good bye miami pix nicolas guillen
photo credit for portugal pix 2square

p.s.  August 9th is jeremiah's birthday so give him a shout out. and while you are at it, wish justin a belated birthday. his birthday was August 2nd. leos... hmmm...

2 comments:

ODYSSEY said...

Way cool! Great interview. Wish I'd seen their work when I was haunting Miami but maybe it wasn't there back then.

ihaveadog said...

Awesome interview and great pics!!! Keep us updated on their exploits!!